Saturday, December 8, 2007

'Tis the Season...Christmas

December brings with it a lot of activity around here. As we look forward to Christmas, here's a sampling of what has been happening this past week or so...

Cameron has about 3 months of violin lessons at school under his belt, so it was very exciting to see him play in his first concert! He said he was nervous, even had a hard time eating dinner beforehand :) The kids did a great job!






I can't wait for his first piano recital in the spring!


Kelsie and I started out the day making cookies. She is much more of a cook & baker than I am, so after a couple of batches, I pooped out and she finished up. Unfortunately, I sampled a few too many -- :(


This picture is for my sister. I wanted a radio for my birthday -- nothing fancy, just a small AM-FM that I can plug in when I want to and throw in the cabinet when I am done. I guess it's kind of hard to find one of these -- with all of the technology advancements now, not many people make the basic radio -- that's what my sister told me when she gave me this one for my bday. Kelsie and I listened to Christmas music while baking cookies -- 102.5 plays only Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving - Christmas day -- that came in handy today. Anyway, I love the radio!

The finished project!


Here is the tree...


I love the angel....

A closer look: I love Christmas ornaments. This ornament probably started my love for ornaments. YEARS ago, my sister got into making crafts. She made a bunch of ornaments and gave me a set -- this was one of them and it still hangs on the tree, along with a few others from the collection. If I remember correctly, she made a set that I gave to my in-laws YEARS ago :)

I added this ornament this year. Thanksgiving weekend, my mom, sister and I went to a craft fair. We ran across an older gentleman and his wife there -- the man was whittling items that were amazing. I said, "this man deserves money"! And I meant it. He was so talented. I bought this ornament and a santa that I have on our mantle.
I know, you barely recognize me. Kenny looks the same :) My mom made this, I think for our 1st Christmas, 1985. Talk about YEARS ago!

We all love this ornament. To this day, the kids still thank God for Chase every night in their prayers.

A few years ago, probably 5 or 6 now, I decided I would make some Santa ornaments - here's how he turned out!

One of my favorites that my sister made...not too many YEARS ago!


Somehow I didn't get this one flipped right, but it's new this year too. During our "night after Thanksgiving" trip to Circa '21, the women have an ornament exchange -- of course I love this tradition -- I got this ornament from Jenny this year and it hangs happily on the tree.

Jewel loves the tree, unfortunately. Cameron and I caught her trying to climb it tonight. When she came down for a rest, I snapped her picture...such a trouble maker :) She has her own ornament on the tree too, I'll save that one for later....

THIS is really what it's all about. I have wanted a nativity for our front yard since my parents made theirs several YEARS ago. I hinted around for a long time for them to make me one, but...finally I took matters into my own hands :) My friend Ruth P's father-in-law made this for us and I was so excited to put it in the yard this week. We even have the floodlight timer working now (thanks Ken) so it is lit up at night. Love it!
Hope you all are enjoying the month too!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should have taken a picture of all the ornaments---"after a few batches i pooped out" you only did about one full batch!!

im the on who should be tired and you took my masterpice on the plates off!! i was apauled!!!

~kelsie lyn

Anonymous said...

Cam I did not know you play the violin. that’s a REALY HUGE TREE wee have a fake one. You have cool ornaments. and how did Kelsie make cookies wearing a tank-top.

Anonymous said...

P.S make sure I get one of those sugar cookies.

Anonymous said...

OK thanks for the artistic credits - you're making me feel really old because I can barely remember making those. Also, please ask Kelsie if she could make some more cookies closer to Christmas to bring to grandma's because we all know those will be gone long before then.........
(by the way, the chase comment made me teary) - Tell Cam he looks like a great violin player - could even be famous some day - just remember your FAVORITE AUNT Kristi!

Anonymous said...

Sad but true, those cookies will be gone loooong b4 Christmas. I wish I could say they wouldn't be. I did put a batch in the freezer today, and have gotten into them once already. I don't want to gain back those piddly 10 pounds, though. Do you remember that lollipop ornament had a plastic wrapper on it in the beginning as I remember it. That's long gone. But it's amazing how those have held up over all these years. More amazing is that the ornaments are one thing that I actually have a place for and can find every year. I still have the wreath and drum for sure hanging on the tree, maybe a couple more from that original set. I think Kenny's mom still has hers, too. I am waiting for her to weigh in on this :)

SHERI

Anonymous said...

Tommy, our tree is fake too. Once we had a real tree and we all forgot to keep water in it...BIG MISTAKE. That tree was so dried out, we had to wear gloves to drag it out of the house. We were fortunate that it didn't catch on fire. And...we found pine needles for the next 6 months! No more real trees for us!

Aunt Sheri

Anonymous said...

That lollypop ornament on your tree I recognize from Grandma and Grandpa's tree! They told us your sister made them.
And Jewel is so cute! Hutch and Starsky always have wrestling matches under the tree, but it's standing so far.

Unknown said...

Sheri, we checked out your blog and the Nativity looks just like ours. Sorry we just couldn't get your Dad to cut one out for you. I would have painted it. So it's his fault you had to find another source.
I loved reading the other comments.
Cam, sorry we couldn't be at your violin concert, but you can play for us at Christmas.
Kels, those cookies make my mouth water. Save me just one.
Love,
Mom/Grandma Collins

Anonymous said...

Kelsie, those cookies look so good!!

Anonymous said...

Imagine a violinist and a baker- watch out P. Casals & Mrs. Fields. Your tree is beautiful and yes our backless tree is adorned with those ornaments Christi made all those years ago. Our ornaments all have special meaning to me. Does anyone remember the year we decorated our tree with homemade construction paper? It may have been 1969, which was a special year. Mom H.

Anonymous said...

Kelsie: Those cookies sure do look delicious :)

Cameron: We would love to hear you play the violin (Lauren can play some too). You definitely are the most handsome violinist I've ever seen ;)

Mom: I hope when you say "1969 was a special year" you were refering to that special and wonderful gift you and Dad rec'd in Dec.???

Anonymous said...

Oops, Casals played the cello. M. Elman was the violinist. I think Jack Benny should worry that Cam might surpass him in ability and humor. Of course Aunt Tricia, you were that special gift. Grandma

Sheri said...

FINALLY Tricia gets the attention she deserves! It has to be on my blog, though, I want everyone to take note of that! :)

Sheri said...

Aunt Tricia, I know I am the most handsome violinist you have ever seen -- I get that alot.

Tommy, Kelsie's weird like that (making cookies in a tank top).

Love, Cameron

Anonymous said...

Sheri,
It's justlike looking at one of your albums with the journaling all caught up! I love seeing what's up with you. Looks like you are all ready for Christmas. Are those the Amish sugar cookies?
Vicky

Sheri said...

No! No more cookies from scratch! It's from that betty crocker (I think) bag where you add egg and butter -- they are too good (unfortunately)...I may never bake from scratch again -- like I did very often anyway. You think I should give up scrapbooking all together and just do this and print it out???? Sounds like a plan :)