Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Friend Patty

Most of you never knew my friend Patty. Even if you knew who she was, you probably wouldn't be able to communicate with her besides a smile, because she was deaf (but a smile meant the world to her -- the smiles my kids gave her, were priceless). Before her health failed, she came faithfully to church each week with a smile. She and her deaf friends, who are now my friends, at church inspired me to learn to sign several years ago; I wanted to learn so I could help them learn the Bible and praise God and I wanted to get to know these people.

Patty died this past week. I went to visit her in the nursing home yesterday; to check and make sure she was feeling up to us picking her up for Church today for worship and our Thanksgiving lunch. When I arrived and couldn't find her, the nurses told me she had died on Tuesday or Wednesday. I had seen her last Sunday. She was doing pretty well. She was excited about coming to Church today; getting out before it got too cold for her to get out. I cried when the nurses told me she died. I called her brother (besides her brother, Patty only had a cousin left living, but several friends who loved her) and he told me that she probably had a heart attack. He couldn't find my phone number to call and let me know, he was sorry that I had to find out that way. He did not arrange any type of service for Patty -- he sent her body to Arkansas to be buried where their parents are buried.

I cried some more. But you know what? The crying really is only for me, because I will miss her smile and her humor! Patty is home with her Lord right now. Patty is not living in a nursing home, missing her house and the ability to drive which she lost when she had a stroke in July. Patty is not eating that food at the nursing home that she would tell me she didn't like. So for Patty, it's happiness. For those of us who called her a friend and enjoyed her smile and her company, we'll miss her. She always made me laugh -- the stories she would tell -- priceless. The kids and I were planning what kind of a Christmas tree we would take up to the nursing home. But Patty will have the best Christmas ever.

No funeral service, no obituary, no get together for her friends to talk about how much we will miss her. So I had to blog, thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri...I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure you were both big blessings to each other, but as I sit hear this morning, I am trying to imagine how Patty must have felt when she actually heard our Lord say, "Well done my good and faithful servant!" I don't think our human minds can really imagine how wonderful heaven will be.....Have a blessed Thanksgiving....Angela

Rich said...

Your friendship was a blessing for both of you, and now us. It is so wonderful how people touch us and how much people mean to us no matter what their physical "disability". Often they remind of the more important simple things that mean so much, like a smile or hug. Thank you for sharing Patty with us.It reminds us of what is truly important. Our thoughts are with you and Patty...

Anonymous said...

While so many are thinking of the hectic days ahead, the Holiday season, we need to stop and remember just what the season is all about. There are so many people like Patty who treasure a kind word, touch or a friendly smile. Sheri, you and your group brought Patty joy w/ those special visits. She in turn enhanced your life. As Rich said sharing Patty w/ us reminds us of all those who are "special".

Anonymous said...

Sheri,
I am so sorry for your loss. You are such a good friend. I know your friendship meant the world to her as it does to me.
Vicky