Saturday, March 1, 2008

Do Miracles Still Happen?

Yes, and I have another one to share with you. A week ago last Thursday, my sister had a colonoscopy (she has these often as she has had polyps for much of her adult life). Her doctor at Iowa City Hospitals recommended she have one earlier than "normal" since she had had the appendix cancer, just to be on the safe side. My sister used to be a "gastro nurse", assisting the doctors in these procedures (yuck, glad there are people like my sister who are skilled and brave enough to do these jobs); but, sometimes this can be difficult, though, because you know what the doctor is thinking when he tells you that he removed 12 polyps, one of which he "marked" or "tatoo-ed" -- translation: He believes it is cancerous and he marks it so he can find the spot more easily when he has to go back in. This was the case this time. The doctor told her that depending on something or other, part of the colon would have to be removed.

But here's the rest of the story: God worked another miracle. Yesterday, my sister came home from work to find the letter from the doctor -- the one she was expecting. Or was it? She opened it and the report was "no cancer found -- benign -- come back in a year for your next colonoscopy". My sister called me on my way home from work. We both were crying for about 10 minutes on the phone. I believed it, but I couldn't believe it. It was what we had all been asking God to do -- and He did it. I know His will isn't always our will. But I also know, He still chooses to do miracles and for that and many other things, I am thankful. When I got home, I yelled for Cam and Kelsie to come and see me. Cameron said, "Mom, you're crying" -- I said, but it's for a good reason. I told them what happened, and told them we have to thank God right now. So, that's what we did. And, I continue to thank Him today! Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sheri, thanks for sharing w/everyone. Yes, another miracle. Your Dad and I both said we were almost numb last night after hearing the good news. I don't know why we doubt that God can do miracles. We know He is able. We're so thankful. It has been a happy Saturday.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank God for miracles. I would imagine there are a lot of happy and grateful family and friends of Cristi's celebrating this good news today.
Mom H.