Sunday, March 29, 2009

Horses Bite in Cold Weather?

Yes! Who knew? After church today I dropped Kelsie off at the barn to do her new job, ride Blackjack. She called me a little later and told me he bit her on the shoulder! She didn't seem too upset, but I thought maybe I should go back to the barn and check the situation out. Marcie, her coach told me that in this weather (it was probably about 48 degrees, brrrr) the horses get mad and don't want to be ridden). Kelsie was putting the blanket and saddle on and he pinned his ears back and turned and bit her. And it wasn't on her shoulder, it was on her back. She turned when she saw him getting mad and she has a big splotch of red on her back. I am not sure how comfortable I am with this. So what happened next? I guess you have to teach the horse who is boss so she took him into the indoor ring and somehow made him work for 1/2 hour -- she didn't ride him, but somehow they make them run and work...to show them who is boss. Oh my -- this is my little girl we are talking about! Kelsie said it's good for her -- I am not so sure about that! Well, I guess I know now, though, why she is getting paid.

3 comments:

the biten girl ;) said...

he bit me in the back but the pain is in the shoulder blade so I say it's in the shoulderish/backish area ... And it's really not as big if a deal as you think ... It's just a bite that is painful but it will heal and be fine ;). Don't worry too much mommy , let's just hope he doesn't have rabies or any other disease :)))) hahaha

Anonymous said...

Kels, I hope you taught Blackjack a lesson. And don't turn your back on him in cold weather - your lesson learned, huh?
G'ma C.

kelsie lyn said...

:) it was a good thing I turned cause he almost got my face ... OUCH