Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sleeping In, Airplanes, and an Interesting "Encounter"

Ok, so...day started with the alarm snooze button being hit more times than it should have been. Let's just say, the 6:20am airplane flight to NY turned into a 10:30am flight. I'll leave it at that. I said, though, might be a blessing in disguise -- Cam has some homework to get done, I think a few hours in the airport might take care of some of that.

Here's my, well, interesting encounter at the doctor's office this morning. (It's long, sorry)

I was sitting in my doctor's office this morning, waiting for my re-draw of blood, when the office door opens, I notice a man come in and he goes to the window. The window is opened more quickly than usual, not sure if the man even wrote his name down on the clipboard that we mere mortals have to write our names down on. Even those of us not needing to see a doctor, we just want to breeze in and out with a quick draw of the blood. Anyway, the receptionist chats with the man, at first I didn't pay any attention, but then looked up to hear his voice that sounded familiar. Something about his co-pay and does he still have some kind of insurance. It appeared that he whipped a bill out of his wallet that looked like a bill I would barely recognize since I don't normally carry such large bills around, a $100 and hands it out to the receptionist who declines to take it. Think she says something like your sister already paid or that's what your sister pays? I don't know. But by this time I figure out from his voice who he sounds like. He turns from the window...the tension is mounting, isn't it? Comes and sits down 2 chairs from me. I'm looking at him, can't help it. He looks at me, he needs a shave for sure. i say something like, how are ya? You can't go anywhere w/o that voice being recognized, he is pleasant, says, "not many places". Of course I have to keep chit chatting with him, that's the way I am. I ask him, so do you think they're going to be able to do much this year. He says, "they have a shot". I said "what's up w/spezio". He says, "I am kind of far removed from them right now. i just know what's out in the public domain (yeah he used those words), I said, what's in the public domain, all I know is that his finger is infected? (I am really falling down on my job, I normally am up on all of this.) He says, Oh, he's in rehab. I shreiked! I didn't know that, did you? He says, yeah, I don't know what for, just rehab. I was shocked. I said I saw him in spring training w/his wife and young kids, that is a shame. He says, yeah it really is. Then more quickly than anyone in a doctor's office I have ever seen get their name called, the receptionist opens the door and says..."Joe"? Mr. Buck rises from the chair, gives a little smile and off he goes. Oh, forgot one thing: at the beginning of my chit chatting, I couldn't resist. Have you seen that commercial w/him in it where these dweeb guys say to him "can I touch your throat while you say, swing and a miss"? I couldn't resist, I said something like, "I could give it one of these", and touched my throat -- he did crack up. I said you have to admit that was funny. He said, yeah it was.

Now, for the moral of the story. There was an older gentlemen sitting in the office with me, of course he didn't strike up or participate in the conversation, I am like that, though. After Joe went into the office, and the nurse asked him if he could give urine sample -- Joe says, "I'll give it a try", (sorry, couldn't resist that), the other man and I chatted. He commented on how crazy these people with all of this money get themselves messed up in drugs and other things. I said it just goes to show, money is not the answer. The man says, "well it sure couldn't hurt." I said well, I guess it sure can. If you don't have a relationship with God, and have a plan for your life, all that money does is bring havoc on alot of people. Granted, I'd like to give it a try sometime :) but here are those people with all of this money still searching....for happiness I guess??? About that time, the man kind of clammed up, then his name was called.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri, only you could have a conversation like that with Joe Buck! You crack me up!
Vicky

Anonymous said...

You're definitely the person to be with when you see or meet someone "famous". You crack us up too!!

And we never know where God will use us to plant seeds of hope :)

Tricia & Kenny

Sheri said...

Do you guys remember meeting John McCain in DC? Of course you do! Too bad you weren't with us when we met Al Roker...just ask Gena haha!

Sheri said...

Now Vicky was with me when I met Mark McGwire, that was something too -- I even got a picture of him.

Anonymous said...

And, what doctor do you go to??!! How exciting. You didn't know about Spezio...that was all over the news a few weeks ago, it is a shame.
Hope your blood work comes out OK :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was Mary H w/the last comment!!

Sheri said...

I KNOW!!! Joe probably thought I was a nut that I didn't know that -- not a REAL fan! Me? Of all people! I have not been reading the post dispatch, haven't seen the local news. Everytime I try and find out about him, I go on the Cardinal webpage, of course nothing on there about it since it's drug related! Unbelievable. I heard no one mention it. Now that I have been talking about it, everyone and their brother, including my brother, knows about it and can't believe I didn't know about it!!!!!

Rich said...

Speaking of "famous" people; Katleen Doyle shipped out to Iraq Wednesday. She will need some prayers and I know this is the place to get them!

Money is nothing without, faith, purpose, and your health. Not everyone can be "famous" but everyone can have faith...

Great story!

Sheri said...

Rich, I doubt if you have an address yet for Kathleen, but if you get one before we do, can you please send it along? I would love to send her a box. I know first hand from some of the airmen deployed from here that they always appreciate rememberances from home -- especially prayers! Thanks for letting us know that. For all of you that don't know, Kathleen is one of Kenny and Richie's cousins from New Jersey.

Rich said...

Sheri: I will. Aunt Elaine will be forwarding the info and e-mail when she is settled in at her base in Iraq. Have a great "girls" weekend! I have already heard that Cameron has been showing off his "bionic" finger, and he and Tommy are on hour 3 of a wiffle ball game in Trishia's backyard!!

Unknown said...

Sheri, that was a pretty interesting "Encounter". Your Dad thought so. You certainly have met a lot of "famous" people. Speaking of famous, we received Rich's book a couple of days ago. I've read about 50 pages so far. Very interesting. I have known for a long time that Ken is a very good writer, but found also by reading Rich's book that Ken's siblings and his Mother are also very good writers. Wouldn't be surprised at hearing some of them are writing a book also, huh Ann??? Ken probably will when he retires.
I know Ken and Cam are having a great time in NY and you and Kelsie are enjoying your weekend also.
Mom